We’ve all been there, we’re moving, and its a stressful but exciting time. You know the furniture you want to bring, and maybe already have your eye on a new set of drapes. Before you go filling your Amazon cart, we recommend taking this checklist of 10 Simple Questions to Ask Before You Rent, with you on your tour of your potential new abodes.
So, without further ado: 10 Questions to Ask Before Renting An Apartment in NYC:
- Now, this first one isn't technically a question, but just trust us on this one. Turn on the water in both the sink and the shower to check the water pressure
- Ask if there is a rodent or insect issue.
- Ask if you do have an issue what steps would they take to eradicate; some buildings have an exterminator they work with and will treat the hallways or common areas once a week or so, if they do you can ask them to use this remedy in your apartment as well.
- How are repairs taken care of generally, and in an emergency- IE, if you have a flood at 3AM who can you call?
- How do maintenance requests work?
- Check out reviews of the building and management company before, if you see something that stands out to you dont be afraid to ask! A great website to do this is at: www.Transparentcity.co
- Keep in mind this is different than asking about previous history of bedbugs. Keep in mind that in NY, you only have to disclose if there has been an issue with bedbugs if it happened within the last 365 days. For example, if you are viewing an apartment on Dec 1, and the building had a history of bed bugs November 1, the previous year, they do not have to disclose. While bed bugs are definitely gross, do not be alarmed. At some point or another most buildings have had to deal with some of New York’s more unseemly transients. Most landlord’s usually take this seriously, because no one wants to deal with them spreading through the whole building.
- Do you require renters insurance? This is not a huge deal, and usually a nominal cost (in our experience usually its $250 for the whole year), but sometimes you need to show this at lease signing, so just something to be prepared for. Some websites that can help are Lemonade, All state, and Geico.
- Do you know of any construction in the building or in the area that I should be aware of? A lot of people like to ask how noisy a property is, the truth is, in NYC there will always be some noise, and if your sensitive to this a good pair of earplugs or insulating your window might do the trick.
- Besides first months rent and security deposit are there any other fees i need to be aware of?
Well there you have, our 10 Questions to Ask Before Renting An Apartment in NYC!
Leave us a comment below and let us know how this worked for you!